Volunteer in South Africa and spend two weeks connecting with adults and children impacted by and living with HIV.
You’ll be volunteering alongside our partner, Ethembeni, who have a vision to see, through Jesus, hope-filled families free from the brokenness of HIV and TB. Ethembeni in Zulu means ‘Place of Hope’. They recognise that when followers of Jesus come together to serve Him, hope is created. And hope is a future worth having.
The 3rd Global Goal for Sustainable Development (SDG’s) has an incredible target to see the AIDS epidemic wiped out by 2030. Ethembeni is engaging with the church in South Africa to support people living with HIV and helping to educate on the wider issue.
Starting with just home-based care in 2000, today Ethembeni is running numerous programmes aimed at caring for sick and vulnerable adults and children affected by HIV and TB in the Umgeni and Mpofana municipalities.
The programmes include:
- A primary health care programme
- An HIV prevention programme in conjunction with the AIDS Foundation of South Africa (AFSA), including paediatric HIV testing & counselling
- An educational support programme
- A nursery & family centre
- A TB screening facility
- DREAMS - a program caring for young women and girls
- An enterprise and skills development programme
Ethembeni’s programmes aim to target the root underlying causes of broken families. They work hard to ensure their services make a lasting impact on people and families. They are constantly seeking God, looking for gaps in the services they provide and filling gaps as God leads them to.
You will have an amazing opportunity to stay with a host family in the local community. This will be a wonderful way to connect more closely with the culture and build relationships.
So, are you ready?
Two weeks in South Africa will both challenge you personally and stretch your faith. You will experience how the local church is at the heart of tackling poverty and injustice and have the chance to show God’s love in practical ways as you visit and learn from inspirational communities.
‘It was a totally amazing experience from beginning to end and it was something that completely changed my perspectives as well as providing plenty of challenges and opportunities.’ - Sam Stevens
Who are we looking for?
Individuals who are flexible and adaptable and would love the chance to spend two weeks living in South Africa, working in a team, alongside other volunteers and Ethembeni staff.
What will you be doing?
- Teaching English, supporting reading, literacy and teaching basic I.T skills as part of Ethembeni’s Educational Support Programme
- Leading children’s activities at Ethembeni’s Nursery and Family Centre
- Helping run bible based holiday clubs during the school holidays
- Participating in the life of the local church, including Sunday services and bible studies
- Supporting HIV awareness workshops as part of Ethembeni’s HIV Prevention Programme
- Running gender specific activities through the local church, for example: Men’s nights, women’s nights, park runs, camping out, bike club rides and craft activities
- Leading and participating in devotions with the Ethembeni staff
The cost mentioned above includes pre-departure training, insurance, debrief, a medical package, administrative costs and in-country travel, accommodation and food.
Please note, flights, visas and vaccinations are not included.
For more information about additional costs, check out our ‘All you need to know’ section.