Due to a sharp fall in the value of the Yemeni currency, the average price of basic food items as well as water and fuel has drastically increased since the war. Mr Naje’s family were spending YR10,000 (£31) for water per month. But now, in many places, water costs have doubled or tripled making it unaffordable for many families.
Few families have a regular income, and struggle to get enough money to meet the most basic needs. The lack of safe water for drinking together with unsafe hygiene practices increase the risk of diseases such as cholera, diphtheria and diarrhoea.
Mr Naje’s family told our partner staff that they rarely washed their hands and the children would wear the same dirty clothes for a week at a time. As they had to collect water the children were often too busy to go to school, and were too tired and sick to play.
Tearfund is supporting local partners responding to the crisis in Yemen:
• Providing food to vulnerable households.
• Improving access to safe drinking water and sanitation facilities.
• Improving health, hygiene and overall nutrition of families in cholera-affected areas.
One of our partners was able to give Mr Naje and his family a water tank, toilet, hygiene kit and a water filter. They also shared advice on good hygiene practices. The family has now committed to handwashing at critical times.
Mr Naje’s grandsons and granddaughters are now able to go back to school – even with clean clothes. He says: ‘Now I feel like the international community cares about me and my family.’
• Thank God for the transformation experienced by Mr Naje and his family, but pray for all those who still lack access to basics such as safe water.
• Pray for peace in Yemen, which is much needed to help alleviate the current food crisis.
• Ask God to protect our partners, as they seek to help those in greatest need.
Missed articles in this series? Find them here. Find out more about Tearfund’s work in Yemen.
Please give now for people suffering in Yemen.
In the unlikely event that we raise more than is needed to support our partners, your gift will be spent where the need is greatest.