Spend four weeks in Cambodia, serving alongside Tearfund’s partner, the Cambodian Hope Organisation (CHO)
CHO work with communities in and around Poipet on Cambodia’s northwest border with Thailand, an area well known for human trafficking and gambling.
All of their projects work towards trafficking prevention by building strong, hope-filled communities where people’s physical, spiritual and psychological needs are met. CHO do this by raising awareness of the risks of trafficking amongst local people and teaching them how to spot the signs. They also facilitate sustainable change, equipping local people with quality education and livelihoods opportunities which make them less vulnerable to trafficking because they have knowledge and resources to care for themselves and their families.
CHO work alongside the local church, delivering incredibly inspiring projects, using bible-based tools to empower communities to identify the skills and resources they have available to lift themselves out of poverty.
‘The impact CHO are having feels refreshingly immediate as I visited projects, finding nothing but joy, which had risen from unimaginable suffering. From creating jobs in Destiny café and providing education at the stunning Safe Haven School within the city, to assisting farmers, running anti-trafficking workshops and Church and community led transformation in the surrounding villages.’ - Hudson, CHO volunteer
Watch this video to find out more about the work CHO is doing:
So, are you ready?
Four weeks in Cambodia will both challenge you personally and stretch your faith. You will experience how the local church is at the heart of tackling poverty and injustice and have the chance to show God’s love in practical ways as you visit and learn from inspirational communities.
‘I learnt that it isn’t me transforming Poipet. It’s God and it always has been God. He doesn’t need me to be excellent at my job. Neither does he expect me to have perfect plans. He needs me to be available. He needs me to surrender to him and let him unfold his plan.' Louise, CHO volunteer
Who are we looking for?
Individuals who are flexible and adaptable and would love the chance to spend four weeks living in Cambodia, working in a team, alongside other volunteers and CHO staff.
What will you be doing?
You could find yourself involved in a variety of opportunities:
- Helping local children have access to good quality education through teaching lessons and developing resources for the Safe Haven School and School on a Mat.
- Supporting CHO’s livelihoods initiatives, including assisting with workshops or researching ideas for the development and expansion of CHO’s businesses, e.g. Destiny Cafe.
- Facilitating the Smart Youth Leadership Programme which empowers young people to be leaders in their local communities and encouraging them to participate in church-led community development initiatives.
- Capacity building at CHO’s offices including helping with administration, helping to write newsletters or develop content for CHO’s social media channels.
- Participating in the life of the local church by supporting the Sunday School and teaching or sharing your testimony as the opportunity arises.
The cost mentioned above includes pre-departure training, insurance, debrief, a medical package, administrative costs and in-country travel, accommodation and food.
Please note, flights, visas and vaccinations are not included.
For more information about additional costs, check out our ‘All you need to know’ section.