Volunteer in South Africa this summer and spend two incredible weeks connecting with adults and children impacted by and living with HIV.
You’ll be volunteering alongside our partner, Ethembeni, who have an amazing vision to see families free from HIV and TB.
Starting with just home-based care in 2000, today Ethembeni visit up to 80 families a month, providing care and helping with income generation ideas. They run a drop-in centre for children, looking after over 70 children a day. Since 2011, Ethembeni have been helping to implement an AIDS prevention programme.
The 3rd Global Goal for Sustainable Development (SDG’s) has an incredible target to see the AIDS epidemic wiped out by 2030. Ethembeni is engaging with the church in South Africa to support people living with HIV and helping to educate on the wider issue.
Ethembeni has four specific programmes:
- A residential care centre
- A family support programme
- The Mpophomeni Family Centre - working with vulnerable children
- An HIV prevention programme in conjunction with the AIDS Foundation of South Africa (AFSA).
Ethembeni’s programmes aim to target the root underlying causes of broken families. They work hard to ensure their services make a lasting impact on people and families. They are constantly seeking God, looking for gaps in the services they provide and filling gaps as God leads them to.
The work of Ethembeni is transforming lives in South Africa. Would you like to join them for two weeks and see how your story can become a part of God’s story in South Africa?
Who are we looking for?
Individuals who are willing and flexible and would love the chance to spend two weeks living in South Africa, working in a team, alongside other volunteers and Ethembeni staff.
Ethembeni are looking for individuals who would enjoy working with children and young people and would feel confident helping to teach, run outreach events and play or lead sporting activities.
What will you be doing?
- Teaching English, supporting reading and literacy and teaching basic I.T skills at the Mpophomeni family centre
- Leading children’s activities at the Mpophomeni Family Centre
- Helping run bible based holiday clubs during the school holidays
- Participating in the life of the local church, including Sunday services, bible studies and evangelistic activities
- Helping to run HIV awareness workshops as part of Ethembeni’s HIV Prevention Programme
- Running gender specific activities through the local church including Men’s nights, women’s nights, park runs, camping out, bike rides
- Participating in and leading morning devotions with the Ethembeni staff