Volunteer in Tanzania for three months and see for yourself how the local church and the local community are working together to bring about incredible change.
You’ll be supporting the work of Tearfund’s partner, the African Inland Church Tanzania (AICT- MUD).
For AICT, everything begins at grass root level, so they partner closely with schools, farmers and medical groups to tackle community issues together.
As a result there are now medical clinics running at affordable rates for local people, and agricultural schemes which teach farmers how to use more effective farming methods, to increase their yields
Every programme AICT run is about so much more than a handout. They aim to educate people to become self-sufficient, empower communities and cut the limiting ties of dependency.
At a simple level, this is visible in the local schools as staff and pupils take care of the plants, nurturing them to ensure they grow.
One incredible project that has transformed communities in the Mara region of Tanzania, are self-help groups. These groups encourage people in villages to come together to make small, weekly savings. Not only does this develop the discipline of saving within communities but it also means that after three to six months, people can take out loans from the group and invest in something else that is going to make them more profit.
Communities that at one time had no running water, have not only been able to save and invest in a well, but now even have schools in order to educate their children.
The groups have been so successful, developing initiative and self-esteem, that they’re now being rolled out in over 40 villages. AICT is currently working in 150 villages in the region, and they are hoping that the number of groups will increase as you and a team of volunteers can come alongside and support this idea.
So, are you ready?
Three months in Tanzania will both challenge you personally and stretch your faith. You will experience how the local church is at the heart of tackling poverty and injustice and have the chance to show God’s love in practical ways as you visit and learn from inspirational communities.
Who are we looking for?
Individuals who are flexible and adaptable and would love the chance to spend three months living in Tanzania, working in a team, alongside other volunteers and AICT-MUD staff.
Swahili is the main language spoken across Tanzania so we’d advise learning a few basic words before you go.
What will you be doing?
- Helping to support the self-help programme running in local communities
- Visiting the Care for the Children project which works with 3000 vulnerable children
- Teaching at the local primary and secondary schools
- Visiting local health clinics and the HIV home-based care programme
- Sharing your IT skills, to help improve AICT’s staff members IT skills
- Getting involved in the Church & Community Mobilisation Process (CCMP)
- Supporting and developing youth programmes including drama, worship and children’s ministries
- Participating in the life of the local church; attending church services, helping to run discipleship programmes, Bible studies and initiatives with women and young people.
- There may also be an opportunity to help with church maintenance and construction projects
The cost mentioned above includes pre-departure training, insurance, debrief, a medical package, administrative costs and in-country travel, accommodation and food.
Please note, flights, visas and vaccinations are not included.
For more information about additional costs, check out our ‘All you need to know’ section.