Are Christians online Christian online?

23 February 2012

Three in four digital-savvy Christians in the UK use social media to chat about God, according to poll data released by Tearfund today.
The poll revealed that 74 per cent of online UK Christians welcome the opportunity to reveal their faith on digital platforms, while the remaining 26 per cent do not feel comfortable talking publicly about their faith online. 

The data shows that Christians are regularly posting prayer requests and updates online. One of the most popular platforms is Facebook, with nearly half of those polled using the social networking site to ask for prayer or to pray for their friends.
Quotes from the poll:
'I reach more people through social media than I do with my sermons!'
'Everyone who knows me in ‘real-life’ can see my faith on a daily basis; I don’t see why social media should be any different.'
'I am very cautious of what I post on social networking sites regarding my faith. I am not trying to hide the fact I am a Christian, but I do not want to continually shove it in people’s faces.'

The results are announced as Tearfund launches One Voice, their Global Poverty Prayer Week. From Sunday 26 February to Sunday 4 March 2012 Tearfund will unite with churches, organisations and individuals across the world to pray, with a focus on Micah 6:8: 'And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.'

'It’s great to see that, as we share more and more of our lives through social networks, prayer is part of our conversation,' says David Westlake, Tearfund’s Integral Mission Director. 'One Voice unites Christians through a global movement of prayer, both online and offline, to come together in community with the last, the least and the lost in some of the most difficult places on the earth.'

During the One Voice week of prayer, churches around the world will pray using resources provided by Tearfund including prayer guides, a short film and a digital interactive prayer space for sharing prayer requests and stories of answered prayer. The web space brings together prayers from all over the world, including countries such as Nepal, Vietnam and Columbia, bringing Christians across the world together in a global prayer movement.

Tearfund have also teamed up with mobile Bible application YouVersion to create a seven-day reading plan of reflections and prayers based on Micah 6:8, reaching over 10 million smart phones.

For more information visit

For media enquiries only, please contact our media team:

Notes to Editors:
Tearfund’s survey on social media and faith was answered by 212 Christians, as well as some from other faiths, a representative sample of online Christians in the UK.
The survey was distributed online via Facebook and Twitter, so data is of Christians already using social networks.
47 per cent of all Christians polled, across all ages and denominations, use Facebook to ask for prayer or pray for their friends.
74 per cent of online UK Christians polled welcome the opportunity to talk about their faith on digital platforms; 26 per cent do not feel comfortable mixing faith and social networking.
There are 30.2 million Facebook users in the UK (, of which an estimated 2.7 million are regular churchgoers.
One Voice Prayer Space: 
One Voice Bible Reading Plan with YouVersion: 
For more information and to arrange interviews please contact Holly Poulter on or 07789960135 / 0208 943 7792. For out of hours media enquiries please call 07710 573749.

If you're not a journalist but have a general question about our work please call our Supporter Enquiries team on 0845 355 8355 or use our online form.

Note that our press releases often have the contact details of the media officer working on that story at the bottom.

Tearfund is a Christian relief and development agency building a global network of churches to help eradicate poverty.