- Church invites groups across Liverpool and Lancashire to host easy-to-organise quiz night
- Fundraise for Tearfund’s work in some of the world’s poorest countries while enjoying a stellar night of puzzlement
‘We had a lot of fun last year and it was super-simple to hold this quiz night. All the hard work had been done for us in advance by international development agency Tearfund’s fundraising team - we didn’t have to think up questions or get anxious about ambiguous answers!’ said Jane Lake, who volunteers at Christ Church. ‘The quiz was a great way to welcome people from our wider community, including those who might not normally come to church, and all age groups enjoyed it. In fact we found the multi-generational teams did the best because they had more rounded knowledge.’
Tearfund is offering churches and other groups around the UK a ready-made, new for 2019, quiz pack to use on Saturday 16 November - The Big Quiz Night. The pack makes it easy for churches and groups, large or small, to host a stellar night of puzzlement and inspiration, while raising funds for Tearfund’s work in some of the world’s poorest countries.
Tearfund’s UK Churches Director Virginia Luckett said ‘Churches around Britain were buzzing last November as more than 22,000 people were put to the test in one evening, and they loved being part of the on-screen totaliser at the end showing how they linked into the national picture. We were thrilled that, while having fun, they raised a whopping £172,000 for Tearfund - but we’re confident we’re going to smash that this year as 1,500 churches and groups have already ordered their bumper quiz packs. It’s going to be a marvellous night.’
Questions for The Big Quiz Night have been filmed by well-known Tearfund supporters including actor David Gyasi (Carnival Row… Interstellar…), baker Martha Collison (The Great British Bake Off...) and award-winning chocolatier Will Torrent. Organisers will receive a USB stick with the questions and answers, a film to watch at half time, a raft of digital and promotional resources, and a comprehensive 'how to' guide. There’s built-in flexibility in how the quiz can be presented this year because each round is also delivered as a separate file on the USB so quizmasters can pick and mix which topics they ask questions on.
Funds raised will go to help some of the world’s poorest people - like Martha from northern Nigeria who lost her husband, two older children and home in a conflict over land in her rural community. Now she and her youngest child live in a makeshift camp for displaced people in the city of Jos, where lack of sanitation led to a cholera outbreak. Tearfund’s partner RURCON (Rural Development Counsellors for Christian Churches in Africa) stepped in with water and sanitation workshops which have helped Martha keep safe and healthy, but she still needs counselling to help her cope with her losses. Spending time with a trained counsellor will make a huge difference to Martha and others like her, ensuring that their trauma doesn’t determine their future possibilities.
To sign up for The Big Quiz Night 2019, visit www.tearfund.org/quiz
For further information please call Louise Thomas in the Tearfund Media Team on 07590 775847 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours media enquiries please call 07498 540276.
Notes to editors:
A Big Quiz graphic jpeg is attached
The Big Quiz Night facts
- Last year 22,197 people took part in over 500 Tearfund Big Quiz Night events held around the UK.
- Ideally, The Big Quiz Night should take place on the evening of 16 November 2019, but leaders can choose to host theirs earlier in the day or on an alternative day.
- Hosts can sign up for The Big Quiz Night pack at www.tearfund.org/quiz
- Hosts will have the flexibility to tailor the quiz to suit their own church or group - apart from having a bespoke 'plug and play' quiz film, Tearfund are also including all the quiz rounds and the Tearfund film as separate files on the USB
- Every host will be given access to a dashboard where they will be asked to tell Tearfund how many people have attended their quiz night - at the end of the night they will be able to activate an on-screen totaliser so they can announce the national number of quizzes and quiz-goers.
- £462 raised at a quiz night could provide two families like Martha’s with the practical and emotional support they need to recover from the trauma of conflict and displacement.
Tearfund is a Christian relief and development agency and a member of the Disasters’ Emergency Committee. Tearfund has been working around the world for more than 50 years responding to disasters and helping lift communities out of poverty.
For more information about the work of Tearfund, please visit www.tearfund.org.