Tearfund is offering churches a ready-made quiz to use with their congregations this November, making it easy to host a stellar night of puzzlement and inspiration.
Questions for The Big Quiz Night have already been set and filmed by well-known Tearfund supporters including actor David Gyasi (Carnival Row… Interstellar…), baker Martha Collison (The Great British Bake Off...) and author and speaker Rob Parsons (The Heart of Success... The Sixty Minute series …). Churches will receive a USB stick with the quiz film, and a raft of digital and promotional resources, as well as a comprehensive 'how to' guide and the questions and answers. There’s built-in flexibility in how the quiz can be presented this year because all the quiz rounds are delivered as separate files on the USB.
Best-selling Christian author and Tearfund ambassador Rob Parsons explained the advantages of running a quiz this way: ‘With this ready-made quiz, church leaders can let Tearfund take the strain - there’s no need to think up questions, or get anxious about ambiguous answers! Tearfund’s Big Quiz Night is a great way to open your doors to local communities, and churches large and small can be part of a UK-wide event via an on-screen nationwide totaliser.’
Funds raised this year will go to help some of the world’s poorest people - like Martha from northern Nigeria who lost her husband, two older children and home in a conflict over land in her rural community. Now she lives in a makeshift camp for displaced people in the city of Jos, where lack of sanitation led to a cholera outbreak. Tearfund’s partner RURCON (Rural Development Counsellors for Christian Churches in Africa) stepped in with water and sanitation workshops which have helped Martha keep safe and healthy, but she still needs counselling to help her deal with her losses. Spending time with a trained counsellor will make a huge difference to Martha and others like her, ensuring that their trauma doesn’t determine their future possibilities.
Speaking about The Big Quiz, Tearfund’s UK Churches Director Virginia Luckett said ‘I can guarantee it will be a fun night! The funds raised will bring transformation to those in the greatest need, like Martha: last year over 500 churches and more than 22,000 people took part, and we’re expecting more this year. Leaders will be able to dial up the excitement at the end of the evening by activating an on-screen totaliser announcing the national number of quizzes and quiz-goers, so everyone can feel part of the national picture.’ Sharing her top tip, Virginia advised: ‘When it’s time to launch the quiz to your church members, encourage them to form teams with a mix of ages as different questions are likely to tap into the knowledge of different age groups!’
To register your interest for The Big Quiz Night 2019, visit www.tearfund.org/quiz
For further information please call Louise Thomas in the Tearfund Media Team on 07590 775847 or email email@example.com. For out of hours media enquiries please call 07498 540276.
Notes to Editors:
The Big Quiz Night facts
- Last year 22,197 people took part in over 500 Tearfund Big Quiz Night events held around the UK.
- Ideally, The Big Quiz Night should take place on the evening of 16 November 2019, but church leaders can choose to host theirs earlier in the day or on an alternative day.
- Hosts can sign up for The Big Quiz Night pack at www.tearfund.org/quiz
- Hosts will have the flexibility to tailor the quiz to suit their own church - apart from having a bespoke 'plug and play' quiz film, Tearfund are also including all the quiz rounds and the Tearfund film as separate files on the USB
- Every host will be given access to a dashboard where they will be asked to tell Tearfund how many people have attended their quiz night - at the end of the night they will be able to activate an on-screen totaliser so they can announce the national number of quizzes and quiz-goers.
- Packs will be sent out in September.
- £462 raised at a quiz night could provide two families like Martha’s with the practical and emotional support they need to recover from the trauma of conflict and displacement.
Tearfund is a Christian relief and development agency and a member of the Disasters’ Emergency Committee. Tearfund has been working around the world for more than 50 years responding to disasters and helping lift communities out of poverty.
For more information about the work of Tearfund, please visit www.tearfund.org.
Every pound raised from The Big Quiz will go towards helping to bring change and transformation to those in the greatest need. Funds raised will go towards supporting communities to deal with the devastating effects of conflict and provide families around the world with trauma care and peacebuilding skills, helping to restore their hope for the future.