We know that raising funds for a trip abroad can be a hard task! Our costs reflect our aim to keep costs as low as possible for team members, whilst not wanting to divert funds away from our partners' work.
When you apply we will ask you for a non-refundable deposit of £100. Deposits are non-refundable because your application and subsequent placement on a team cause us to incur costs, and we believe that these costs should be covered by you the applicant, rather than Tearfund. The deposit covers the administrative costs of processing your application, interviewing and/or assigning you to a team. After we have confirmed your place and selected you, we will ask you to send in a further deposit. This is for administrative, preparatory, in-country and other costs that have to be paid in advance and again, this is non-refundable.
The cost of each trip covers the following:
- Pre-trip orientation (food, accommodation, resources)
- Pre-trip medical and CRB screening
- Basic medical supplies
- In-country travel, accommodation and food
- Insurance (including 24-hr emergency cover)
- Post-trip debrief event (where applicable)
- Global Volunteering fee
The trip cost does not include:
Websites such as expedia and opodo are handy places to check on average flights costs. We will provide further details on visa and injection requirements at the orientation.
Advice from previous volunteers is to also remember to budget for:
- Souvenirs and gifts to bring home (there will be so many weird and wonderful items to choose from!)
- A small amount of spending money for extra snacks and drinks
- Any items of kit not already in the cupboard (i.e. mosquito repellent, plug adapters)
Please do not feel overwhelmed by money! Our team are equipped with tons of advice on fundraising and we are keen to chat through any questions you have - just get in touch.