Tearfund is part of the #WithSyria campaign, which is arranging candlelit vigils around the world to express solidarity with the people of Syria on the three-year anniversary of the conflict.
The worldwide vigil will take place on the evening of Thursday 13 March, but you can hold your own vigil whenever is most convenient.
Feel free to hold your vigil in whatever way is most comfortable for you, but here are some suggestions to get you started:
How to hold a vigil
- Print out copies of the ‘Light for Syria’ prayer guide.
- Gather with friends, family or other church members.
- Arrange candles in a circle and light them.
- Read one or more of the following Bible passages: Psalm 23:4, Numbers 6:24-26, John 1:1-5, Micah 7:7-8.
- Spend some time in silence, remembering the millions of people affected by the conflict in Syria.
- Lead a time of open prayer when people can pray aloud.
- Ask several people to read out the written prayers in the ‘Light for Syria’ prayer guide.
- Close by praying the Lord’s Prayer together.
Thank you for joining with us in prayer. Let’s continue to pray until there’s a lasting peace in Syria.
Further resources to help you pray.
‘Light for Syria’ prayer guide
Tearfund’s inspirational partners working in the region have written these prayers to mark the third anniversary of the conflict.
‘Light for Syria’ prayer PowerPoint
In your church service, ask the congregation to join in this beautiful spoken prayer composed by a Syrian pastor now living in Jordan.
Children’s activity: ‘Sending love to our Syrian friends’
This simple and effective activity will help the children in your Sunday School to connect with Syrian refugee children.