‘Karibu sana!’ Volunteer in Tanzania for three months and you’ll hear this Swahili welcome a lot, especially if you serve with Tearfund’s partner, AICT-Geita (African Inland Church Tanzania, Geita region) as they give so much of themselves to many.
There is extreme poverty within the communities AICT-Geita are working. As a result the charity is running a variety of incredible projects to encourage development within the communities.
One of the primary projects focuses on education and helping to improve quality and access to education all the way from nursery age, right up to tertiary education.
AICT-Geita are also running community development initiatives that look at helping communities to develop access to water and sanitation, improve their environment and provide sustainable support when disasters hit.
Another amazing project they run works closely with women, focusing both on their spiritual and physical development, as well as care and prevention to HIV/AIDS victims.
Through all these projects, AICT-Geita are acting out the calling they believe God has placed on their heart. ‘God wants us to provide health services; he is the one who created us. Jesus himself was involved with people – comforting them and healing them. The role of the church is to care for the sick, following Jesus’ example.’
A final part of their work is around investing in youth and development both with spiritual nurturing, economic empowerment and prevention from transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to serve for three months alongside the incredible work that is being done, contributing to the Global Goals for Sustainable Development of quality education for all, good health and wellbeing and zero hunger.
So, are you ready?
Three months volunteering in Tanzania will both challenge you personally and stretch your faith. You will experience how the local church is at the heart of tackling poverty and injustice and have the chance to show God’s love in practical ways as you visit and learn from inspirational communities.
Who are we looking for?
Individuals who are flexible and adaptable and would love the chance to spend three months living in Tanzania, working in a team, alongside other volunteers and AICT-Geita staff.
Swahili is the main language spoken across Tanzania so we’d advise learning a few basic words before you go.
What will you be doing?
- Engaging and inspiring young people to be involved in helping to develop their own community
- Supporting communities living in mining areas with environment management and maintenance.
- Helping to train the local community on how they can diversify their income
- Home visits to vulnerable families living with HIV and AIDS
- Training community members on water and sanitation, nutrition to children under five and maternal health care
- Working with youth leaders to engage and empower the youth and young people in development
- Teaching life skills classes on HIV/AIDS
- Working with the local church and the church community mobilisation project on issues of human rights, advocacy and sustainability
The cost mentioned above includes pre-departure training, insurance, debrief, a medical package, administrative costs and in-country travel, accommodation and food.
Please note, flights, visas and vaccinations are not included.
For more information about additional costs, check out our ‘All you need to know’ section.