After the troubles and separation of last year, this Christmas offers a wonderful opportunity to come together again and show that you care. Whatever you already have planned could be turned into a festive fundraiser. You can give your time and skills safely in whatever way you want: in person, outdoors or online.
More people than ever are aware of how the climate emergency is badly affecting people in poverty. In many of the poorest countries where Tearfund works, people are being pushed back into poverty by more extreme weather, drought, floods and storms.
But your fundraising efforts can make a difference. Tearfund’s partners around the world are providing people with the tools and techniques they need to adapt to the changing climate, and amplifying the voices of those most affected.
Here are just a few fundraising ideas:
- You could take donations at your workplace Christmas party, offer a gift wrapping service, or give the last hour of your pay – and encourage others to do the same.
- Nativity plays and Christmas fairs at school are also great places to ask for donations, or you could organise a fancy dress festive fun run.
- A church carol service is also an opportunity to ask for donations, or you could organise a festive cake sale at Christmas church events.
- You can also invite friends, family and neighbours to your home for mince pies and other festive treats, or take on a physical challenge such as The Climb (where you climb your home stairs and raise money), or give donations instead of Christmas cards and send Tearfund e-cards instead.
- The Christmas holidays are a great time to get outdoors and work off the mince pies with a sponsored walk, a daily Advent walk or join with a relay team cycling, walking or running a set distance each.
There are even more ideas here, alongside tips on fundraising and paying in your donations. Or you can email our friendly team at email@example.com would would be really happy to chat about your plans. But don’t let us hold you back, you probably have a brilliant idea for a fundraising activity that best suits you.
Whatever you can do will make a huge difference to people like Juliet. She’s on the front line of the climate crisis in Bangladesh where 5.5 million people’s lives were devastated by flooding last year.
‘When the river floods, it washes everything away,’ says Juliet. Her community in Kalapara on the exposed southern coast is largely dependent on fishing, but cyclones and floods are causing devastation – destroying boats and making the fish scarce. And poverty is on the increase again.
But now, Tearfund’s local church partners are equipping Juliet and her community with the training and equipment they need to adapt to current conditions and prepare for future disasters.
These include more resilient housing; tree planting to protect against flooding; early warning systems; and training in skills like emergency first aid and search and rescue.
Whatever time and skills you can give to fundraise this Christmas will make a huge difference to people like Juliet, and demonstrate to your friends and neighbours there is so much more to Christmas.