Through our work at Tearfund, we have amazing testimonies of the power of God at work: things made possible because God made a way. As people are freed from poverty, hope shines brightly again. The impossible becomes possible. It is through prayer that we can participate with what God is doing – and we’d love you to join with us.
‘See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.’ (Isaiah 43:19)
Prayer connects us with the heart of God. Here is a short prayer exercise you can do to connect with what God is doing in the world – and to help you pray into it.
Pray with us
- Find somewhere where you won’t be easily distracted.
- Spend a few moments being still; focus on God’s love and transformative power to help you clear your mind of other things.
- Welcome the Holy Spirit.
- Say the following scripture from Isaiah 43:19 out loud. ‘See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.’
- Ask the Holy Spirit to give you a country to pray this over.
- To help begin your prayers, pray the scripture over the local church there. Pray it over communities. And pray it over anything big that is happening there you may know about, eg a conflict.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to continue to guide you in your prayers for this country. Ask for revelation about what God is doing and how you join in through prayer.
- End by thanking God for all he is doing.
A blessing from our staff in India
Thank you for joining with us in praying for communities around the world to be freed from poverty. Your prayers make a difference. Here is a prayer written by John Lall, who leads Tearfund’s work in India, which you can say as a blessing upon yourself or upon someone whom the Holy Spirit prompts you to pray for today.
As your son Jesus never did what the Father did not instruct him to do, I pray that each of our relationships will be in communion with the Father today; that each one of us who has been called to be different role bearers in our home and work, that Lord, our work will bear fruit.
In the name of Jesus, I bless you that he will use you as his instrument to accomplish things he has uniquely prepared you to do.
In the name of Jesus, I bless you that as much as you focus on the doing, you will comprehend today your being in the calling you have received as you serve and allow his Spirit to work through you.
In the name of Jesus, I bless you that you will experience the deep love of Christ Jesus in your life today.
In the name of Jesus, I bless you that you will find time to prioritise your day to connect with the greatest consultants of all ages – God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit and allow his kingdom to come alive in your life and work.
In the name of Jesus, I bless you that as you have been given this new day in your life, you will know God is doing a new thing in your life.
May the grace of God be upon you now and forever,